Interested in becoming a presenter at the 2022 Western District Annual Meeting?
The ITE 2022 Western District Annual Meeting will be held June 26-29, 2022 at the Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel & Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, CA. The technical program will include approximately eight Technical Session periods consisting of three sessions or discussions and up to four presentations in each session. The program may also include a technical poster session and roundtable discussions. These sessions will be supplemented by technical tours highlighting transportation projects in the Palm Springs area.
The transportation industry continues to go through a transformative period that involves many challenges as well as opportunities, including equitability, connected and autonomous vehicles, sustainable and resilient transportation infrastructure, traffic congestion, active transportation infrastructure and programs, Vision Zero safety initiatives and projects, traffic operations, and continuing deterioration of existing transportation infrastructure. The 2022 Local Arrangement Committee is seeking papers that address these issues and ideas that demonstrate innovative, cost effective, and equitable solutions. We hope that you will take this opportunity to share your research and case studies with other professionals on the challenges we all face.
Abstracts are encouraged in the following general topic areas. Other topic areas of interest to our membership are welcome as well.
- Context Sensitive Solutions and Complete Streets
- Adapting Infrastructure to Environmental Change
- Performance-Based Planning
- Active Transportation
- Micro-Mobility/Shared Economy (Car-sharing, Bike-sharing and Scooter-sharing)
- Travel Demand Management
- Traffic System Performance and ITS
- Parking Policies, Design and Operations
- Corridor and Network Operations
- Bus Rapid Transit / Light Rail / High Speed Rail / Microtransit
- Vision Zero / Safety Analysis and Evaluation
- Human Factors in Transportation
- Connected and Autonomous Vehicles
- Fiber Optic Design
- Broadband Communications
- Truck and Goods Movement
- Corridor Management Planning
Abstracts must include the following elements:
- Title of the abstract
- Lead author and presenter and their contact information (name, title, organization, telephone number, and e-mail address)
- Abstract text (maximum 250 words)
General guidelines for submitting an abstract:
- If an abstract is being written by multiple authors, a lead author and presenter must be designated. The lead presenter is expected to make presentations at the Annual Meeting. Only one presenter per abstract will be allowed.
- Presenters are required to register for the conference and provide a copyright release prior to presenting.
- Abstracts must be submitted through the form on this page.
If your abstract is selected for presentation, you are strongly encouraged to write and submit a paper. Submitted papers will be eligible for special awards. There are three awards given for student and professional papers:
- Best Annual Meeting Paper Award – Recognizes the author(s) for the best paper presented at the Annual Meeting.
- Best Annual Meeting Paper Award by a Young Professional – Recognizes the author(s) for the best paper presented at the Annual Meeting by a Young Professional (35 years old or younger).
- Student Paper Award – The award recognizes outstanding accomplishment in preparing independent and original research/investigation of transportation engineering subjects. The winner of the student paper award will get $500 and a free registration to the conference where they will present their paper in a technical session. The paper will be submitted by the District for the ITE International Student Paper Award.
More information about the awards and a list of previous winners can be found at https://www.westernite.org/annual-meetings/awards/. Detailed requirements for paper submittals and presentations will be provided to authors once the program is compiled, abstracts are selected, and presenters have accepted.
The schedule for submittal and selection of abstracts, notification to the authors, and paper deadlines are as follows:
JANUARY 19, 2022 (EXTENDED): Abstracts Due by 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time
February 22, 2022: Abstracts Selected and Authors Notified
March 1, 2022: Student Paper Award Submittal Deadline
April 1, 2022: Professional Paper Award Submittal Deadline
May 1, 2022: Paper Submittal Deadline for Conference Compendium
If you would like to present, start by submitting a proposal using the form to the right.